Are You Taking Advantage of Medicare Health Screenings?
If you or a loved one is on Medicare, it’s smart to learn about the free screenings that are now available under the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
According to Dr. Carolyn Clancy of the U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHQR), these preventive and screening tests now include:
- Bone mass measurement (also known as bone density test): Covered every 2 years.
- Cholesterol and other cardiovascular screening: Tests for cholesterol, lipid, and triglyceride levels are covered every 5 years.
- Colorectal cancer screening: Medicare covers colonoscopy tests once every 2 years for people at high risk; otherwise, once every 10 years.
- Diabetes screening: Up to two fasting blood glucose tests are covered each year.
- Flu shot: Medicare covers a shot once per flu season in the fall or winter.
- Mammogram: Screening mammograms are covered once every 12 months. Diagnostic mammograms are covered when medically necessary.
- Prostate cancer screening: Medicare covers a digital rectal exam once each year; prostate specific antigen (PSA) tests are covered once each year.
This is in addition to the new “Welcome to Medicare” wellness visit for people who are new to the program.
Read more about Medicare screening services on the Medicare.gov website (www.medicare.gov/coverage/preventive-and-screening-services.html)
Source: AgeWise reporting on Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality information.